Sunday, January 13, 2008

Those Donation / Survey Calls..!!

My pet Peeves
Those Donation / Survey Calls..!!
Have you ever been sitting in your recliner, your belly full from just getting up from the dinner table watching your favorite program on the tube and it happens…! The phone rings, your wife answers it, the guy on the other end asks, “May I speak to the man of the house”? Of course the answer is “Yes hold on” and hands you the phone. You struggle to get the remote out from under the cushion that you are sitting on. After what seems like an eternity, you get the remote and mute your volume. By this time you’re aggravated, because it took so long to find the remote and mute your program that you bark into the phone, “HELLO”, there is a pause on the other end, then the guy on the other end introduces himself and starts in on his pitch about the charity organization that he represents and what they intend to do with the money that they collect. You being a retired person on a fixed income and your insurance keeps going up, your house note is due, home owners insurance seems like it goes up a little more each month and you just found out that the Co. you worked for is moving to Mexico and you don’t know what is going to happen to your retirement money, or whatever your reason is for not wanting to hear all this. You say, “Sorry pal, but things are kinda stretched out right now so I’ll have to pass”. The guy on the other end is persistent and doesn’t want to take no for an answer! Or, it might be someone trying to sell you something, what do you do, use a few choice words and hang up? Well here is what I’ve used, when they start into their sales pitch, I ask for their credit card number, there will be a short pause then they will ask, "What do I need my credit card number for?" I tell them that I charge $25.00 per interview, either they give me their credit card number or this call is terminated! That’s when you hear the ‘CLICK’…! Well by this time, your movie is shot anyway so you might as well go polish your bowling ball,…….. or something…!!,
This is just one man’s opinion
What do you think….?
JD

1 comment:

shauna said...

Hi, J.D.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You and my dad would get along great--he is an incurable car-fixer-upper who enjoys the junkyards himself. I'm not much into old cars but I can't resist a yard sale or flea market! Also, I scrolled down and saw the memorial to your grandson. My condolences for your tragic loss. What a handsome little guy he was. Have a great night and stop by anytime!